Re: [Roadsters] Another new Spark Plug.........

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Another new Spark Plug.........
From: "James Fogg" <James@jdfogg.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:07:56 -0500
> "Pulstar" pulse plug....."featuring a unique capacitor based pulse
> circuit"
> (Is this a capacitive discharge ignition without the (MSD etc.)
control
> box??)
>
> http://www.pulstarplug.com/
>
> I'm all for a better spark plug.....IF IT WORKS!!

Well, it would work, but only as good (maybe) as a normal plug. This is
pure snake oil. They don't go into enough detail, but if the drawing is
true what you have is a basic RLC circuit, known as a "tank" circuit.
The problem is R is variable (by an air gap) and needs to be stable and
a fixed value, and C is going to be way too small, and with not enough
space for a proper dielectric and plate separation for the voltages and
frequencies involved.

And creating a shorter and hotter "pulse" is trivial to do with
coil-on-plug and distributor-less designs. If it were truly beneficial,
it would have been done. A longer duration spark is going to do a better
job for most cylinder head designs.