Re: [Roadsters] OT: Too funny not to pass along

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT: Too funny not to pass along
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:46:58 -0800
That must have been sent to you by a local (Seattleite). Stan Boreson had a
kids' show on KING TV for years (decades?). I used to watch him all the time
when I was a kid.

He was one of those great old-time comedians who only made fun of himself,
not other people - kind of like Red Skelton. And like Skelton, he did
various characters, most of whom had Scandinavian accents. Even to this day,
it's considered politically okay to make Scandinavian jokes, because they
were some of the very early settlers in a neighborhood called Ballard.
Ballard was right on the Lake Washington Ship Canal, and the major
industries were fishing, logging and building lopsided houses.

One of his favorite things was to take a "normal" song and rewrite it with a
crazy Scandinavian twist, like:

"Catch A Pickled Herring" (to the tune of "Catch A Falling Star")

"Catch a pickled herring, put it in a barrel,
Save it for a rainy day.
Catch a pickled herring, put it in a barrel,
watch the neighbors move away."

"Walking in my Winter Underwear" (to the tune of "Walking In a Winter
Wonderland")

"Ragnar the Flatnosed Reindeer"

and many, many more.

He also had two Bassett hounds who must have been tranquilized, because they
hardly ever moved. He named them Slo-mo-shun and No-mo-shun.

Truly a great character.

http://www.stanboreson.com/

Gordon
Renton, WA