[Roadsters] Soft top frame 'accordion', FunRun with GA Triumph group

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Soft top frame 'accordion', FunRun with GA Triumph group
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 07:54:22 -0600
First topic: soft top frame 'accordion'.
I agree with Larry on making sure the top scissor-arms are fully
extended.
When I first bought my car, the bow had a kink in the sheet metal, which
I had reworked by a pro. (thanks Les)
Being of the 'prefer to bundle up, rarely put up the top' breed, I
always wondered why sometimes it was REALLY hard to get it to latch, and
other times real easy.  Sometimes when it was difficult, I would just
take it all the way down and put it back, up, and then it was easy.  (I
am not a good, or lucky, mechanic, so a lot of my repairs seem to follow
this route!)
Anyway, what I finally realized was that the scissor-arm mechanisms over
the tops of the doors were binding up a bit, and found one particular
pair (one per side) that when I squeezed them, the top moved forward and
assumed a different angle, and allowed me to latch the center latch.
I have never heard of nor seen a spacer in any of the latches, and I
sure don't have one.
I did put velcro strips underneath the top latche when I bolted them on
(don't remember who recommended this, but many thanks for this tip), so
that they are latched shut when the top is up as well as latched quiet
when the top is down.
I have pics of these if anyone wants, but they are just a simple 4"
strip from the fabric store, that you bind the latch shut.

Second topic:
Matt Smith wrote:
<<  I lost one just before Thanksgiving while ripping thru the North
Georgia Mountains on a Turkey Run with the Georgia Triumph
Association,..>>
Cool!  But, inquiring minds want to know, at the end of the run, how
long did you have to wait for them to catch up?!

Fergus O