[Roadsters] chrome quality

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] chrome quality
From: Eric Hoffman <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:43:37 -0700 (PDT)
Linda, these are great questions.  The best way to know what you're getting (or
likely to get) is through referrals, a great way to do that is through a list
like this and to go to car shows and ask people with great chrome who did the
work.

  The most common flaw in chrome is waviness, usually seen as lines in the
finish.  Moreover getting the metal dead flat and flawless is extremely labor
intensive.  Removing impact damage and crumpling (especially on edges, creases
and curves) is even harder. So it pays to start with the best bumper you can
even if you have to buy more than one of them to so  (then sell the spares on
ebay with honest disclosure afterwards.)

  Compounding the problem for you and I is the fact that there is no end to the
line of auto enthusiasts willing to pay top dollar; because demand is higher
than supply shops can turn out substandard work and continue to make a living
doing so.

  The only guarantee of high quality is to go with the most expensive shops
(like Pauls Chrome and a few others) which is painful.  That being said I have
had great luck with Superior Chrome in San Jose.  I would not say that the work
is flawless, I would say that the work is excellent and one must look very hard
to see places that were are not absolutelty perfect and unless you're hoping
for an invitation to Pebble Beach I think you'll be pleased.

  Along these lines if you get to attend a splashy concours spend some time
staring at the chrome work, on those bazillion dollar cars it's like jewelery
and looks ten feet deep.  If anyone knows how they get chrome this nice I'd
like to hear.  High end motorcycles often have the super fine deep gleaming
chrome too.

  I think it's ironic that I live in Gerorgia and with all the referrals and
feedback I have the best deal I found is in one of the most expensive places in
the country!  Superior plated my Volvo P1800 bumper, and refinished a chrome
gas cap on my Opel GT.

  I have not seen their work but have heard good feedback about Escondido
Plating in Southern California, anybody here familar or have comments?

  Here in Georgia the shops I visited skip the copper plating and just use
nickel and chrome.  Some pieces turn out OK, most do not, the copper fills in
the minute flaws (almost no surface is perfect on the molecular microscopic
level).

  Hope this helps,

  Eric Hoffman