Re: [Roadsters] Headlight question

To: "'John F Sandhoff'" <sandhoff@csus.edu>, "'Brad Stapleton'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Headlight question
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:56:21 +0930
--===============1702926855==

1) Just so you're fully aware, these aren't HID. Note the phrase "HID
class".

2) You'll fry the wiring and headlight switch unless you install a control
relay. These things claim to be 130 watts (about 10 amps per bulb - 20 A
total).

-- John
True HID[ High Intensity Discharge] uses a ballast box and an igniter box.
http://www.narva.com.au/Globes_24.html
Note that the "spin" says, "...130/110W light output with only 85/80W
current draw".
What that means is that the "light output" is equivalent to a 130W [I=130/12
= 11A draw per side]  but due to the technology used, the input DC current
draw is only 85W [85/12 = 7A draw per side].
Although a more reasonable load current, I support the idea of upgrading the
wiring and using a relay to do the high current switching.
Wire it so that the light switch/column switch only drive the relay and the
relay contacts supply the fused high current supply to the headlamps.
I'm using the Plus 50 globes in my Skyline and they are excellent at night
http://www.narva.com.au/Globes_21.html

Checked by AVG.
9:39 AM