Re: [Roadsters] Header bracket?

To: erik.isaksen@gmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Header bracket?
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:30:59 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/2008 5:23:39 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
erik.isaksen@gmail.com writes:

Greetings,

The factory manifolds for the 1968 1600 have a  bracket on the lower section
of the manifold to mount to the alternator  bracket for support as well as a
mounting location for a heat shield to  protect the alternator.

I have not noticed a header that has this same  bracket.  Has anyone added a
bracket to a header for this  purpose?  Is it necessary to prevent stress
cracks in the  header?  What are the effects, if any, for not having the
lower  bracket?

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Eric Isaacson

Fort  Wayne, IN

1968 Datsun 1600 Sports

The stock manifold/header was made out of a high nickel, almost stainless,
alloy and were fabricated from pieces. They tended to crack as they do not
stress relieve when heat cycled. Most tube headers are mild steel and do not
have this problem. I haven't heard of the stainless aftermarket headers having
cracking problem either.

keith

listings at AOL Autos.