Re: [Roadsters] Stock versus modified

To: spl310@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Stock versus modified
From: davesmbox@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:23:27 -0400
Very well said
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: sidney raper <spl310@hotmail.com>
To: Regular Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 8:38 pm
Subject: [Roadsters] Stock versus modified

Well, here is my not too humble opinion.  If you have a clean original, you
are doing a disservice to the automotive community by doing modifications
other than wheels and paint colors.  If you have a ratty car that is going to
be a soup can if you don't modify it, then by all means, keep it on the road.
The argument that stock engines cannot be found is BS.  I have 3 1600 engines
in the garage now and don't need them.  Make an offer and come haul off the
dead weight!  Please!!  If the argument is that the stock engines are more
expensive to keep and maintain than an engine swap, I call BS on that too.  A
properly done swap will cost several thousand dollars.  Add to that the fact
that most of the swappers are putting in JDM engines which are now becoming
obsolete, and the problem is compounded.  Yes, U20 timing components are
pricey now, but how often do you really need to change them?  For my argument,
look at the FJ20 cars.  When I got back into Roadsters, the FJ20 was the hot
tip.  Now the owners of FJ20 powered cars that I have conversed with lament
the difficulty and expense in finding parts for their motors.  SR20s will be
there soon as well.

I guess that most of the folks still see the Roadsters as the cheap sports car
and therefore modifying it is not a hurtful thing.  I disagree.  I see the
Roadsters as undervalued and underrated in the sports car world, and modifying
them for the sake of modifying them is doing more to keep that going than
anything...

Flame away, I am off the soapbox now...Sidney Raper1964 1500 (still a
project.... sigh....)1967 SRL311 00076 (alive again!)Jacksonville
Floridahttp://www.geocities.com/roadsternut/index.html