Re: [Roadsters] What year is my car?

To: Charles Kyle <chuckkyle@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] What year is my car?
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:26:19 -0700 (PDT)
> So I think my Datsun is somewhere between a 66 and a 68.  Based on the
> serial number (SPL311-18896)... the body is a 68... The engine block
> number is R05076...

Overwhelming likelihood is that the engine was swapped at some point.
Most of the 'drivers' have been, sometimes several times.

I didn't look at the picture, but if the dash is flat metal and
the mirror is attached to a pedestal on the dash, the body is before
1968. Two top latches as well. 68 and newer, the dash is padded
(gauges are recessed), clock is rectangular, not circular, mirror
clips onto the third top hinge in the center of the windshield
frame.

If the VIN plate is still there - hopefully it is or most DMV's
get pretty upset - the original engine number is stamped into the
plate. I'm betting your plate has a much higher number stamped
on it than what's in the car.

The frame VIN is located on the left frame rail, top surface,
slightly behind the steering box (LH cars) or idler (RH cars).
Likely obscured by grease and grime.

Who knows - maybe you have a '66 that was rebodied. On the rear
axle, right side, do you have the torque rod - attaches to a
perch welded onto the axle housing, and a perch welded to the
frame? '66 didn't have that, '68 did. I think it showed up
starting 67 half year but don't quote me.

-- John
     John F Sandhoff sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA