Re: [Roadsters] Cross Country, have I lost my mind?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Cross Country, have I lost my mind?
From: peter harrison <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:26:38 -0700
Nathaniel

Towards the end of last year, I drove my 70 1600 from LA to DC and back -
total of 8700+ miles and about 5 weeks. Engine was rebuilt 20K miles earlier.
Problems - clogged fuel filter, and the driver side door winder broke.

I took mostly back roads and found the @200 mile range perfectly sufficient.

Granted I had a five speed box installed, but IMHO 70 at 3500 is a doddle for
these cars.

Have fun, let us know when you are planning to arrive and maybe we can
organise a meting or something.

Just go for it and have fun.

Peter

> From: nmleeds@mindspring.com> To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 14:12:13 -0700> Subject: [Roadsters] Cross Country, have I
lost my mind?> > I'm planning a Colorado to California shot in the old '69
2000 and am> wondering if I've lost my mind. Everything's rebuilt and new, and
we've> driven the 500 miles breaking-in period without recent major incident.
And> now its time to test fate.> > My preference is to take Highway 50 across
the desert to stay away from the> big trucks on the 80, but I'm worried about
whether running the car all-out> for 500 miles is such a smart thing to do in
a part of the country where gas> stations are few and Datsun even fewer.> >
Had anyone done this, or similar drives in their cars. What's happened, what>
breaks, and what advise to you have for someone who's probably to boneheaded>
to take it?> > Nathaniel Leeds> '69 2000, SU>