Re: [Roadsters] rear brake springs

To: "MH" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>, "Datsun list"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] rear brake springs
From: "Andrew Conner" <conner_a@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 18:32:35 -0400
***DISCLAIMER:  Using anything other than the appropriate OEM parts on your
brakes can be dangerous, as brakes are very important to the safe operation
of your roadster.  The following information is for informational purposes
only; anyone who puts it into practice does so at their own risk.  ***

A few years ago I was lucky enough to buy a full rear drum rebuild kit from
Carl Jaeger, but his website
(http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-roadster-fairlady-brakes.html)
currently lists this as sold out.  The springs I got from Carl will work but
they are differ a little in size from the original ones that came on my car
when I got it.  Here is a picture, where the green ones are new.
http://www.mydatsunroadster.com/misc/old_new_drum_springs.jpg

The original roadster return springs for the cylinder side part # is
44090-16505, but when I tried to order them from Nissan a few years back
they didn't have them.  That may have changed by now.  A couple of years ago
I ordered from Nissan a pair of cylinder side return springs for a 510 to
see if they might match, and while they are just a hair longer than the
green ones, I bet they would work on the roadster.  (The 510 return springs
are red and black).
http://www.mydatsunroadster.com/misc/old_new_510_springs.jpg  So I believe
the 510 parts are still available from Nissan, the part # is 44091-21010 and
they are listed for about $2 apiece.

I didn't get far enough to try to match the adjustor-side return spring to a
510 part, but that could be out there as well (an area for further
research...).  The original roadster part # for the adjustor-side return
spring is 44071-30001--also weren't available a few years back, but that may
have changed.

Andy Conner
SRL 311-01633