Re: [Roadsters] Jumping jack tac

To: "stan" <stathy@shaw.ca>, "Datsun Roadster List"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Jumping jack tac
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 22:53:18 -0500
Stan,

My guess is binding in the tach cable.  It doesn't have to be much -- just
enough to interfere with smooth movement at lower rpm.  Take the cable out
of the car, withdraw the cable from the sheath (being careful to note the
location and position of any seals, and so forth), withdraw the cable from
the sheath, and lubricate with WD-40.  (Yes, I know there has been some
controversy about WD-40 on the list, but it worked for me.)  Work the cable
back and forth to distribute lubricant, and re-install.  If there are any
kinks in the sheath, of course, replace the entire cable assembly.

If that doesn't work, the only other alternative I know is to have the tach
itself overhauled.  But, correcting cable problems solved similar issues
with both my tach and speedo.

Gary Ault