[Roadsters] Steering shaft mod?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Steering shaft mod?
From: Tom PRATHER <tomet9@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:01:05 -0700 (PDT)
   Hello all,

   I have a question concerning rerouting of a steering shaft around a #4 carb
of a quad Mikuni flatslide induction. I am out of my comfort zone on this one
and would like some advice. I have plans to cut my original shaft into 3
pieces and use 2 additional U-joints and a securing block to angle around the
carb. I understand that the collapsable shaft is to give in on impact so I
wondered if by modifying my steering shaft that the rear shortest of the 3
sections would by any chance fall out while driving. Since I won't have that
direct straight connection I'm afraid I may have to reinforce the rear section
as well to for/aft play. I'm not privy as to how the lower shaft mates with
the column behind the firewall. Are these shafts press fit to some degree? I
would apreciate any input. Tom