Re: [Roadsters] Maximum Advance and Octane -- how far can I go?

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Maximum Advance and Octane -- how far can I go?
From: jover4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:43:07 -0400
Nathanial,

I had my Solex U20 on a dyno at 5000ft with regular gas and saw no appreciable
hp difference between static timing settings of 15 and 20 DBTC.

Octane boost will allow more compression without detonation?however I don't
believe it will?allow you much more power with just a timing change.?

I.e. If you advance the timing too far you get into timing related pre-ignition
not detonation.? I think the octane boost only helps on the latter.

I am looking for others to chime in here to confirm my thoughts, or to shoot me
down if I need corrected.

John Over
Denver, CO