Re: [Roadsters] Valve Spring Compressors

To: "'MH'" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>, "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team.
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Valve Spring Compressors
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:20:53 +0930
"should I get the C-clamp type? It looks like that works in a different way
and would probably do the job a lot easier."

Hi Mike,
I used a large "C" clamp with a horse shoe shaped 1" length of tubing [one
side cut away] which gave enough room to remove/insert the retaining
colletts.
Still the quickest, easiest and cheapest method I have found!
Word of advice.
With the head on a flat surface, place a small wood pad under the face of
each pair of valves in the combustion chamber and using a hollow tube tap
each retainer with a hammer.
This will assist in breaking the colletts free so they can be lifted out
when you compress the springs.
A pair of needle nose pliers or tweezers and a strong magnet are handy to
have too.
Good luck!