[Roadsters] Valve Spring Compressor- kinda long - sorry

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: [Roadsters] Valve Spring Compressor- kinda long - sorry
From: "MH" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:25:03 -0500
Thanks to all who replied and to those who meant to, but didn't get around to
it, LOL! , on my request for input on valve spring removal tools. I'm going to
"spring"   (get it?!)   for a C-clamp style valve spring compressor. I knew
all along this was what I needed. I just thought that the "cool" factor of a
tool that I could:

1) fit in my tool box

2) and allow future valve stem seal R/R without cylinder head removal

was the ideal choice.

After my own brief experience with the compact style tool, I've decided that
having to remove the head for this task even if it's just for a valve seal
replacement is not a big deal for me. After owning and rebuilding over 30
Volvo 4-cyl engines, I can say, that the only service I've ever shopped out
was: block honing / boring, crank grinding / polishing, my recent roadster cam
regrind, and obviously cylinder head / valve train inspection / rehab.

I've rebuilt two 4-speed and one 5-speed roadster transmissions from a book.
Yeah, I can't believe it either, but after 3000 miles, the stroked 1600 and
5-speed are steady and strong. I did have the air cleaner housing come loose
one evening, a block from home. I thought, "Here we go, I knew some weakness
on this rebuild was going to pop-up, it always does eventually, right? Of
course, it was no big deal. I've learned a long time ago to keep my eye out
after a rebuild / repair, for stuff like leaks and noises, very frequently
until the car and I develop a close, intimate, and respectfull relationship.
This "little thing" got by me! Details, details, right?

I know some of you out there know what I mean. Regretfully, I just don't know
who you are!  LOL! ! ! ! .

Any...WAY!

I digress. I'll buy the right tool for the job, Sears has it for $20. I'll add
it to my collection, and list this task as another diy way to circumvent the
system of "depending on the "MAN"!

Did that make sense at all? LOL!

Mike Hudson  '67 - Stroker / 5-speed