[Roadsters] Passed smog again!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Passed smog again!!
From: John Friederich <j.f@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:30:47 -0700
It is always a pain in the a** thing to get the '69 2000 Solex 'B' cam
to pass smog - all smog equipment was removed long ago.  Had to make
only 4 trips to the smog station this year, so it is getting easier
<g>.  The real trick was to retard timing all the way to 0 - my
adjustment would only allow me to go to about 5 degrees, so I removed
the bolt completely and got the lowest hydrocarbon and CO readings at
around 0 degrees.  At this point it would barely achieve 2500 rpm, but
passed, and at idle speed it passed easily.  Of course, the pilot
screws had to be leaned out some as well, but overdoing it resulted in
CO skyrocketing.

Spent the afternoon getting it to run right again - it does like
things on the 'rich' side with timing at almost 20 degrees (Boone
distributor).  Solvang, here we come!

John F
LV, NV