[Roadsters] Front axel hub & seal

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Front axel hub & seal
From: <speeddemonrs@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 18:42:15 -0400
Hi All -

So I have taken apart my front axels to do the brake conversion and all seems
to be going well (thanks to all for your suggestions, recommendations and
such), however...

I am trying my best to disassemble the hub to be able to clean the bearings
and re-pack with new axel grease. The problem is with the rubber seal at the
inside side of the housing. Looking at the service manual and seeing the
individual parts, it does not look like there would be anything in particular
holding it in place (other then the crown nut on the opposite end). I would
rather not damage the thing trying to take it out, but cannot see how to get
it out without causing some damage to the seal. It seems that trying to clean
the bearings (still inside) would be a difficult undertaking since so many
have previously mentioned to make sure to remove ALL old grease prior to
repacking as old grease and new grease donbt "play well" together and will
cause premature failure/breakdown of the new grease.

I have tried taking a thin tipped flat screwdriver and prying at the edges to
get under it, but it seems hard, like there is something else there stopping
it from being pried up. I have also tried pushing it out through the housing,
with similar results.

So my friends... Suggestions?