Re: [Roadsters] Motor Blew with 19 miles on it.

To: "'Eddie'" <eddietude@socal.rr.com>, <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Motor Blew with 19 miles on it.
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:47:25 -0700
Even without knowing the final resolution of this, there are a few lessons
that we all can learn.

1. When rebuilding an engine, have all iron or steel parts magnafluxed.
That's mainly the block, crank and rods. This is the process that checks for
cracks. It's not that expensive, and can save you a bundle in time and money
later.

2. If you're using used parts (like an oil pump), disassemble and inspect
them to make sure they're in good condition.

3. Before starting a fresh engine, remove the distributor and drive gear and
prime the oil system by running the oil pump with an electric drill.
Remember, the oil pump runs counterclockwise, so put the drill in reverse.
You'll be able to hear and feel the resistance when it is pumping oil. If
you don't see at least 15-20 psi oil pressure on the gauge, STOP right there
and find out what is wrong.

4. A mechanic who "assumes" a car is supposed to run low oil pressure is
incompetent. He already screwed up once by installing the distributor drive
gear wrong. Now he's making excuses as to why it couldn't possibly be his
fault. Personally, I don't think I'd trust the guy to fix his mistake
correctly.

Gordon Glasgow

From: datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net
[mailto:datsun-roadsters-bounces@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Eddie

The block didn't have a crack BEFORE he rebuilt it, as the OP was fine
before the rebuild...

My guess?  Oil pump failed, or something else wasn't done right...

Eddie