Re: [Roadsters] ignition switch

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] ignition switch
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:52:32 -0500
> Gary Lasater

> Last night my son's car died in the middle of the road. B We were able to
> determine what seems to be a "short" in the ignition switch. B We banged on
> the column and got it running, then it shorted out. B Any suggestions of if
> this is repairable or has to be replaced?

Not an easy situation to diagnose remotely. Sounds more like an
intermittent "open" than a short, but It could be a chaffed wire that
sometimes shorts to ground, then doesn't, etc. But if something's
shorting to ground it should probably be blowing fuses. The only way
you'll know if the problem is in the wiring or in the switch is a
visual inspection followed by a test with a volt/ohm meter. If you use
test leads on the switch with the switch in the "On/run" position and
it shows continuity, but when you wiggle the switch the circuit goes
open, then you'll need to fix or more probably replace the switch.

HTH,
Ron