[Roadsters] Here's to "over engineering" !!

To: "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Here's to "over engineering" !!
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:21:18 -0700
Kinda verbose but I think it is a good read....

A couple weekends ago, while on a Roadster Run, with a couple other local
Roadsters, to the Vintage Races at Elkhart Lake, a wire/connection broke on my
upgraded alternator. With the help of a friend, some duct tape and a local guy
(who provided a connector in a town with no hardware store) we were able to
make a "paddock fix" that enabled me to pretty much enjoy the rest of the
weekend and get home just fine.

Last weekend I replaced the paddock fix with a proper connector, took the car
for a drive, and a few miles later I broke the bolt--my first-- on the
alternator belt tension adjustor.

Here's the best part:

Because of the way I have the alternator mounted on the alt bracket and front
support there for, I was able to drive home with the alternator in place and
the belt just as tight as before the bolt broke. The only reason I knew I had
broken something is that I heard the bolt bouncing under the car and then back
behind when it made a very clear and loud bell sounding "ding".

Now I get to try to figure out why I broke a bolt for the first time after two
or so years.

I think I had the belt to tight. Hopefully that will be it.

Tim
Belleville, WI.
'70 SPL AND SRL
Still clueless but always learning