[Roadsters] Road Trip - 1200+ miles (1931 kilometers)

To: Datsun Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Road Trip - 1200+ miles (1931 kilometers)
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 14:35:42 -0700
I'm home!
For those that know the area or want to look it up on a map I went from Delta
(Vanclouver, BC), out the #1 to Hope, north to Williams Lake to visit Mallory
(another roadster owner), up to Quesnel to look at a roadster he had heard
about (thrashed/rusted/mostly stripped high windshield), back down to Williams
Lake, down to Cache Creek and over to Kamloops to visit family, down to
Summerland/Penticton to visit more family, then to Osoyoos and headed back home
on the Hope - Princeton highway.
Stopped at the Gold Dust Pub in Hedley for a pint and to cool off from the 35*C
heat and was greeted by some very freindly staff who happen to be car crazy
also, but the marque of choice was Pontiac! Cold beer, good food, freindly
conversation, I highly recommend a stop if you are passing thru.....

This was another shakedown run for the EFI system and 1800cc stroker.
Everything went very well, except for the oil leak which I will have another
shot at fixing very shortly, along with a few other things.

Some thoughts:
- Still very rich in some areas of the fueling map, on some hills the air fuel
ratio would be into the 10.5 to 11:1 range.
- Cruises very nicely at 15.5 -16:1 air fuel ratio. No load, so no worries
about burning holes in anything.
- Deceleration fuel cut works great! On downhill runs with your foot off the
gas I have it set to cut fuel altogether. The A/F gauge pegs at 18:1 and
basically coast down the hill until I put my foot on the throttle again. I was
surprised at how smooth the transition back and forth is. I thought there may
be a bit of a stumble or jerk, but it is a very smooth transition when you get
on the throttle again.
- Lots of power for passing! A lot of the highways I was on are windy 2 lane
highways where you wait for the extra passing lane or pass when it is safe on a
dotted centre line. A quick drop to 3rd and punch it and I'm past the big
trucks and slower drivers in no time at all.
- The ride is actually quite nice. I run 185/65/15 tires on 280ZX Turbo wheels
and find the ride quite liveable for longer drives. I may have given up some
cornering ability with the larger sidewall, but I'm very happy with the all
around drivability of the car. Minor sidewall rubbing on the right side to fix.
- Rattles and buzzes, lots of them to find and fix. Both doors and a couple
from under the dash. Very irritating on long trips.
- Wind noise increases significantly over 70 mph! Cruising at 60 mph is serene
in comparison.
- 5 spds are a HUGE improvement for long road trips. I cruise at 60 mph at 2700
rpm and about 3100 rpm for 70 mph. No problems from the engine standpoint as it
will accelerate from about 2000 rpm in fifth, and I only had to shift to fourth
for a couple of really steep hills. Once I have the fuel/spark dialed in that
may not even be nescessary.
- Milage...According to my Classic Instruments speedometer, my best was 43 mpg
and the worst was 31 mpg, average being about 39 mpg. I am trying to confirm my
calibration, but I know it is well within 10% on the speed at least, so worst
case average for the trip should be about 35 mpg? I used 1/2 tank of gas
between Chilliwack and Cache Creek..........and slightly less than 3/4 tank
from Summerland to Chilliwack (28.7 ltrs)........

Very happy with it overall, with a new list of things to work on.....
1. Eliminate as many rattles as possible!
2. Change transmission and rear diff to synthetic oil.
3. Replace little nylon bushing on end of shifter inside tranny. (it's a little
sloppy)
4. Lean out high load fuel a little.

Cheers
Daryl