Re: [Roadsters] What is the torque for the oil pan drain plug?

To: "D Riedel" <stamuki@gmail.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] What is the torque for the oil pan drain plug?
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:12:56 -0500
Dave,

Oil drain plug:  I don't think you can hurt this thing unless you apply
enough torque to strip the threads, but there's no need to tighten it more
than is necessary to flatten the copper gasket.  (I have had to remove them
when they had been really cranked down, but I have never seen one leak if
the gasket was intact.)

The sensitivity regarding over-tightening the oil pan is with respect to the
6mm (10mm hex head) cap screws which secure the oil pan to the block.  Look
at an oil pan with the gasket removed:  There is a raised area down the
center of the mating surface with the block.  If one over-tightens those cap
screws, he can crush and damage the cork gasket near the bolt holes,
creating a leak path.

I haven't seen a torque value for the oil pan bolts/cap screws.  There are
standards for torque which can be used when one doesn't have an OEM value.
Unfortunately, I cannot find my list right now, but there are a couple of
active or former mechanics on the List.  Maybe someone has and will publish
the generic torque standards to which I referred.

Gary