Re: [Roadsters] grounded vs no ground switch

To: <gregs672liter@netzero.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] grounded vs no ground switch
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 11:19:42 +0930
Hi Greg,
The two terminal OEM switch connects a fused power feed to the pair of Fog
lamps.
The lamp bodies are grounded at the bumper to complete the circuit.
While this is simple and works, it also can be dangerous since the wiring
and switch has to handle the high current drawn by the lamp[s].
If you wish to retain the OEM toggle switch, you should incorporate an
automotive relay in the wiring to switch the high load, and the switch
operates the relay.
The relay is operated by the toggle switch by a ground signal, which is
easily wired to one of the switch terminals.
The power feed connects to the relay contact and the relay coil.
The other side of the relay contact is wired to the Fog lamps.
The other wire of the Fog lamp[s] are grounded to the chassis.
If you need a schematic to explain this, let me know.

"Hi gang, electrical is my weakness.  I am installing fog lights on the
Roadster and the switch the new lights came with is 3 prong, with one for
ground.  I want to use the  original switch, but it is 2 prong and I assume
grounded through the switch body itself (?).  Can I use the old switch?
Thanks.
Greg Burrows
67 2000"