[Roadsters] 5 Speed Rebuild

To: Datsun E-Mail List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] 5 Speed Rebuild
From: Keith Downing <keithddowning@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 06:26:44 -0700 (PDT)
I just picked up my rebuilt 5 speed yesterday. It was rebuilt by Skip at Miller
Sports Imports in Pasadena, CA. I purchased the car in February from a fellow
on The List in Dallas and brought it back to So Cal. I was told by the PO that
the "5th gear neutral" problem was fixed back in '93. But I had the problem
while driving the car back to So Cal, so I was wondering about that.

Skip found some interesting things when he opened it up. The gear and the press
piece HAD been welded. But the welds had not been ground smooth. These raised
welds would not allow the nut to cinch down tight, so the nut backed off anyway
over the past 17 years. Make sure the welds are ground smooth. Also, the
synchro, retainer clips and all that stuff that goes back on to the gear were
non-existant. This was quite the shock to him, and had him wondering how it
even shifted into 5th, but it did. Those parts were no longer available, but he
was able to locate some used ones, so all is well.

Now, to get it all put back in, and ready for an event filled April.

Keith
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00