[Roadsters] Update--- Re: U20 Crank Pulley (Harmonic Balancer)

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Update--- Re: U20 Crank Pulley (Harmonic Balancer)
From: "Daniel Heinze" <dth104@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:49:52 -0700
Thanks to all who responded about the noisy harmonic balancer.  Here's
what's up...

Diagnosis -- the rubber in the harmonic balancer has rotted and pieces have
even broken loose and fallen out.  It was not hitting the cross member, but
it did have enough play that it would occasionally hit the top dead center
marker just enough to make all the noise. I had previously relocated the
alternator to the right side of the engine, and so the belt tends to pull
the crank in that direction.

Planned Fix --  the harmonic balancer is packaged and ready to ship to Dale
Mfg
for a silicon rebuild.  Thanks to Fred Davidson for the pointer to Dale Mfg.
Cost for the rebuild is $108.

NOS parts are available from the roadster parts distributors for $300+.
After market
high performance harmonic balancers for the U20 can be found from race parts
suppliers and are $400+.  Hopefully the rebuild will be as advertised.

I'll post again when the fix is complete.

-Dan