[Roadsters] "The Reckoning"

To: Datsun Roadster Listserver <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] "The Reckoning"
From: Michael Knorr <mhknorr@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:37:37 -0600
A few months ago someone on this list recommended David Halberstam's "The
Reckoning," about the decline of the American automotive industry and the rise
of Japanese cars in this country. I dug up a nice used copy for cheap (the
book's over 700 pages long) and have just finished reading chapter 25 on
Yukata Katayama (Mr. K). I knew this guy was Mr. "Z-car", but he also
successfuly introduced the Nissan line to the American psyche. Apparently, his
mindset was more American than Japanese which is why he did so well here.
Halberstam slips up occasionally (the 1968 510 was the first 1600, according
to Halberstam), but he's a good story teller.

About three and a half years ago, I sent Mr. K a 100th birthday card
(apparently, several of us did) and received a lovely response from him. Does
anyone know if he is still alive?

And get a copy of that book, if you can. It's a great read for when the
Roadster is in its too long winter storage. Come on May 1!

Regards, Michael Knorr

1966 SPL311-03639
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html