Re: [Roadsters] KA24DE conversion

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] KA24DE conversion
From: Gerardo Magana <gmagana@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 08:22:11 -0700 (PDT)
I have done 3 swaps already with a kit we developed.  It is available now, I
gues I need to put it up on the website along with pictures.  It requires only
1
small notch for installation so it is one that can be done easily without all
the cutting that I have seen on other KA24DE conversions.

 Gerardo Magana
209-499-9193
www.fairladyparts.com

  And I am so sorry I didn't document my swap!  I did some of the work, but
most was done at a speed shop, now long out of business.  They were to
provide photos of ever step, especially any mods or fabrication needed, but
didn't.  They did nice work, but missed some finishing touches and forgot
all about "customer satisfaction".  Did I mention they are out of business
now?

  But the swap is great.  I did the single cam KA24E from a '89 240SX, and
it looks like it was made for the car.  Better yet, it could go back to a
R16 very easily.  It fit with no modifications to the firewall or
transmission tunnel.  Still uses the stock throttle arrangement.  Had to cut
a notch in the inner fender well for the O2 sensor, but this could be
avoided by moving the sensor further down the manifold.  The radiator
bulkhead was removed and a custom built radiator was installed a bit forward
of stock.  A few new holes were drilled for the transmission cross member.
The ECU is mounted under the dash where the radio speaker used to live.  And
the battery is now located in the trunk.  The 5 speed comes up through the
stock 1600 hole in the tunnel, and a short shift kit was used.

  End result is a great ride.  Plenty of low end torque to jump off the
line.  I drove it for awhile with the stock 3.90 1600 differential and it
was fine, but I ended up swapping to the 2000's 3.70 to keep the revs down a
bit on the freeway (and because it was free!).  This spring I drove the car
from central Ohio down to Road Atlanta for the Mitty.  Most of the drive
averaged 75 mph and my Garmin said I hit 88.9 mph on the way down.  Had to
be when I passed a string of 510s on 85 just north of the track!  Averaged
over 26 mpg for the whole trip.

Paul
Ohio

While several people have installed KA24's into their roadsters, no one has
documented it. That said, check the Engine Swap section in the 311s.org
forums.

Pete
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html