[Roadsters] Questions about long term storage

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Questions about long term storage
From: Matthew Cox <oscilloscope500@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 18:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hey all - I am packing up my family and moving overseas for a few years
(Denmark). I am getting rid of pretty much everything I own, other than what
we are taking with us and my Datsun 1600. I am going to put the car into long
term storage at my mom's house, but I have a couple of questions about how
exactly to do it.

First issue: The engine is out of the car. I started a rebuild on it about 2
years ago and finished the bottem end, but never did get the cylinder head
rebuilt so it is still out of the car. The engine is in an engine stand
wrapped in garbage bags. Is it going to be ok if I just eave it as is for a
few years? Maybe many years? Anything specific I should do to it before I go?

What about the carbs? They were rebuilt a few years ago and are great. How
should I long term store them?

Tranny is just sitting out of the car. Anything I should do to it?

I already need my front brakes rebuilt, but what about the rears and the
master cylinder?

Clutch master/slave cylinder? Any long term storage options do the rubber
doesn't go bad?

I am planning on draining the gas tank and blowing out the gas lines. Anything
else with the fuel system?

I don't care about the tires, but is it a problem for the suspension/steering
to have the car sitting on the ground for many years?

Anything else I should do that I may be forgetting?

Basically, the car isn't a wreck right now, and was a fun driver before I took
the engine out. I just want to make sure that it is not a wreck when I get
back however many years from now and I can get it right back on the road.

Any tips or advice are very, very appreciated.

Holy crap I have so much to do before we move...

Matthew...

Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $16.00