[Roadsters] Old Timer

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Old Timer
From: Morey Mast <mmast@universalprintingco.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:34:16 -0500
Hello to all from Central Texas.  I have been reading posts for a number of
years and have only replied to a few individuals who were having problems.
Have been working on old cars for years and was introduced to "ferin" cars
during my Air Force days in New Mexico in the 1960's.  I fell in love with
them, especially 122 Volvos and other British influenced cars.  Roadsters were
great slalom cars, but at that time there were several Morgans in the area
that dominated.

I am currently a member of the Z-Club of Texas, membership number of 133, and
the JDCNT.  For years I was part of the Texas Datsun Roadster Owners Club
which sort of faded out in the late 1990's.  I still have many hours of DAT
film from runs we took through New Mexico and Colorado.  The last one we made
went through Oklahoma, Arkansas and on to a ranch the company I am with owns,
located in the Ozark Mountains in Missouri.  We stayed a couple of nights
there and made a run into St. Louis.  I drove a 70 model 2 liter on all of
these runs.

As part of the Z-Club my 70 model 1600 won best of class two years in a row,
plus second in class the year before in the Dallas Autorama, a Class II ISCA
car show.  This, too, was in the early 1990's.  I sold this car a few years
ago to a young fellow in the San Francisco area.   This was an absolutely
beautiful car.

I am now happily driving a Roadster that started life as a 70 model 1600, but
after rebuilding a 1969 2 liter drive train and dropping it into the 1600, I
changed out the dash complete with the 69 2 liter VIN number and submitted the
title from the 69 to the State of Texas and I am now driving a 69 2 liter with
rectangular side markers.

The only folks I have ever met who post item to this site are Andy Cost (I was
a friend of his late father, Terry, who, with his wife, made the run to
Missouri with us.) and, I think, Michael Knorr who I would have met at the
Z-Club National Convention in Albuquerque, NM in the late 1990's.  Michael, if
that was someone else I met, I apologize for using your name.

I am now on my last project which is almost complete, a 1966  Jaguar XKE
Roadster with a Ford 302 and Cobra T-5 tranny.  Almost four years so far and
am almost done.  Picking up rechromed pieces tomorrow in Garland, Texas.
Please don't hold this against me.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your conversations.  Most all of us love the
cars.

Morey M. Mast
Vice President, National Sales
Universal Printing Company