[Roadsters] 1600 Cylinder Head height

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] 1600 Cylinder Head height
From: Marty Escarcega <escarcega@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:23:57 -0700
Does anyone know the factory thickness of the Cylinder head? Ours reads about
3.160". Reason I ask is that we had noise in our engine (1967 1600) that
sounded like valves. We pulled the head and it was apparent someone removed the
head before. Pistons have been hitting the bottom of the head, nice shiny spots
on the pistons and the head. Also pistons in Cylinders #1&4 have damage
indentations from the valves hitting them at one time (don't look fresh)

Do the factory domed pistons have reliefs for valves or no?

I am contemplating milling the area where the pistons are hitting the
combustion chambers to gain the clearance back.
I surmise that perhaps someone did not adjust the valves correctly and damaged
them when pistons hit them. They were bent, head was removed for a valve job
and someone milled the head too much. (or a poor man's performance upgrade)

The other option I'm told is doubling the head gasket or I was told there was a
copper shim made at one time for this problem.
Neither strike me too well. The downside to milling is I don't know how much
meat is in that area of the head. I think removing .050" should be fine.

Any thoughts comments appreciated.

Marty
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html