[Roadsters] hardtop chafing, Solvang southward Sunday drive

To: "datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] hardtop chafing, Solvang southward Sunday drive
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus P (AS)" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:24:48 +0000
Chafing of the paint is a problem with the seal design.  To avoid it you need
to have a bulb seal, (resembling a D in cross-section) so that the seal rolls
with the movement, doesn't want to drag.  The bigger the loop of the D the
better.  Double the diameter of the door seals should work well.
Thin film slippery tape will work for a while, and the paint experts can chime
in here, but eventually the pressure and heat of the hardtop will make the
tape adhesive start to flow/bond into the paint surface, so that when you
remove it some of the paint will come off with it.
I have seen one where there was a large enough seal at the rear that only the
side clamps were used, no front clamps, and no problems under extended use.
(this would make it handy cause you wouldn't have to transfer your set of
clamps. (or buy a second set, ouch!)
If anyone is looking to try running a hardtop and wants some tape for this
use, let me know, I can get you a roll, bring it along to Solvang.  (to go
with Jim's top, stylin'!)

Last minute decision but I am going to come along to Solvang this year,
although I'll be on the oh-dark-thirty Saturday morning parade.

Last years' Sunday drive home southward we took some backroads thru Ojai,
Lockwood Valley, Frazier Park.  Let me know if anyone is interested, and I
will bring maps.
I think we left at ~ 8am last year and it worked out well.  Might even see
some snow this year.

Fergus O
Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html