Re: [Roadsters] Alt vs battery

To: "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Alt vs battery
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 07:37:14 -0400 (EDT)
Well, it has been a week since I did the following: Cleaned up the two
grounds from the alt to the body (they were not real bad but were not
100% clean either) and added (?) a ground from the starter to the body
(did these cars come with this ground when new?).

For years the car has been hardish to start: I would turn the key, the
engine would kick once, hesitate, then turn over/start. Now, after the
above mentioned work, the engine turns right over. So that issue has
been solved.

As for the charging issue, I am still not 100% convinced this issue has
been solved**. But, the battery has been connected for a week now (I
used to disconnect it when I got home from a run) and the car has
started just fine each time I have tried to start it during this week.
Last night will be the test: I drove home after dark with both the
headlights on bright and my garmin plugged into an auxiliary power jack
I put in the car last year. I will see if the car will start on its own
when I get home today.

**I am still concerned that the ammeter no longer goes into the positive
side of the scale. But, since it does go into the negative with the
headlights on so the gauge does work.

Thanks again for all help and advice offered!!

Tim

datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive