[Roadsters] Poor running

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Poor running
From: VulForge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:30:28 -0500 (EST)
My current '67 roadster has never run right.  It idles OK, and runs  great
over 2000 RPM, but going from idle to speed it backfires through the  carbs,
stumbles and stalls.  If the RPM is brought up slowly until over  2000 or
so, it will run fine.  I have the distributor cranked all the way  to advance
(CCW) to get it to run at all.  I think I am missing something  obvious.
Vac advance works, points at .020, plugs at .028.  The  points keep closing
up.  I used silicone grease on the distributor cam, but  the point follower
seem to be wearing quickly.  I do not have a working  timing light.  I
confirmed firing order/plug wires.  What am I  missing?  Could the distributor
be
a tooth off?  Vacuum leak  somewhere?  I checked the hose from the back carb
to the advance, it is  fine.  The problem gets worse the warmer the engine
gets.  I hate to  admit defeat and throw myself on the mercy of the group,
but this has got me  flustered.

Thanks in advance!

Russell  Criswell

Vulcan's Forge L.L.C.