Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed

To: "MH" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>, <Shobson@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:18:38 -0600
Mike,

In my case, we were trying to change the speedo cable which had been
installed by heaven only knows who in the life cycle of my friend's car.  We
got the old one out, but couldn't manuever the new one enough to line up
correctly with the trans connection, so I got out my trusty rotary file and
ground away at the opening some PO had made in the tunnel until we had
enough clearance to work.  Didn't take too much.

Another reason why I didn't put a 5-speed into my '66 1600 when I gave it
the U20 back in 1972.....(The local Datsun deale couldn't even tell me
whether the 2000 engine would fit into a 1600and mate with the 4-speed.)  Of
course, being older and wiser, we all know today that the 1600 and 2000
blocks used the same casting.

Just as a side note:  During one of my visits to Downey (CA) Datsun, they
had a brand-new 2000 and 5-speed sitting on the service department floor --
ordered form Japan for a customer who planned to replace his 1600/4-speed.
I think the pair cost less than $1,000 at the time.

Gary