Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 8, Issue 169

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Datsun-roadsters Digest, Vol 8, Issue 169
From: Steve Ehlers via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:58:36 -0600
  Bob ,

  1/4 turn backed off may not be enough back off for 1 thing. The other
issues you have to make sure of is that the wheel cylinder returns to
bottom after you apply the brakes. If Standard brake fluid is used with
Aluminum cylinders in cars that sit ANY time, they can and will have
issues. Because of this I use Silicone Fluid in all Datsun restorations.
This is true if you never flush the systems and or the car sits a lot.
Another issue can be fatigued bad shoe springs and lack of hi temp lube
at all shoe contacts points especially the backing plate contacts. I
find that amateurs ( home DIY and cheap brake replacement shops) don't
know to properly lube the contacts and are places that Nobody seems to
know to do a brake shoe replacement correctly. Lastly the cylinders must
be lubed in the backing plate hole to slide before clipped in place. So
after shoe adjustment ,pull up the emergency brake lever to center the
shoes. This is a very probable issue also...

I'm sure your missing something I mentioned .

Good luck,

Steve Ehlers Rising Sun Performance  "The Z car Experts of Texas"