Re: [Roadsters] Brake line covering

To: Pat Horne <patintexas@icloud.com>, Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake line covering
From: Ronnie Day via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 12:40:34 -0500

--00000000000061142505a5efab28

I'd say probably. The OE hard lines are mild steel so they're subject to
rust, especially with the plastic sleeving. IMO, the only thing that stuff
is good for is trap moisture and rot the hard lines. I think Classic Tubes
in NY is the company that Les says makes a hard line set for the front
calipers. Don't remember if they offer the other hard lines, too. I do
remember that when I replaced one of the hard lines on the rear axle
several years ago I ordered it from Dean.

Regarding your question about picking up the body, I'd suggest looking at
the "H" shaped frames offered by Eastword and other outfits that are
designed to lift pick-up beds. You might be able to fab up your own. Just
remember to add the weight of the frame to your load. And defintely cross
brace the body extensively before you try to lift it.

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:27 PM Pat Horne via Datsun-roadsters <
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> wrote:

> It=E2=80=99s been decades since I read on this list that the black coveri=
ng on the
> front brake lines should be removed to keep the lines from rusting. I
> dutifully checked mine. Nope, no plastic.
>
> Today I was getting my car ready for frame off & noticed that the REAR
> brake lined had the plastic covering! Since it has never been mentioned,
> does this plastic cause problems on the rear lines? I=E2=80=99m going to =
take mine
> off any way.
>
> Peace,
> Pat
>
> Pat Horne
> We support Habitat for Humanity

om

--00000000000061142505a5efab28

they&#39;re subject to rust, especially with the plastic sleeving. IMO, the=
 only thing that stuff is good for is trap moisture and rot the hard lines.=
 I think Classic Tubes in NY is the company that Les says makes a hard line=
 set for the front calipers. Don&#39;t remember if they offer the other har=
d lines, too. I do remember that when I replaced one of the hard lines on t=
egarding your question about picking up the body, I&#39;d suggest looking a=
t the &quot;H&quot; shaped frames offered by Eastword and other outfits tha=
t are designed to lift pick-up beds. You might be able to fab up your own. =
Just remember to add the weight of the frame to your load. And defintely cr=
 class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:27 PM Pat Horne via Datsun=
-roadsters &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net";>datsun-ro=
uote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,2=
04);padding-left:1ex">It=E2=80=99s been decades since I read on this list t=
hat the black covering on the front brake lines should be removed to keep t=
he lines from rusting. I dutifully checked mine. Nope, no plastic. <br>
Today I was getting my car ready for frame off &amp; noticed that the REAR =
brake lined had the plastic covering! Since it has never been mentioned, do=
es this plastic cause problems on the rear lines? I=E2=80=99m going to take=
 mine off any way. <br>
Peace,<br>
Pat<br>
Pat Horne <br>