Re: [Roadsters] Brake Problem

To: dave <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake Problem
From: J Sandhoff via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2020 23:48:02 -0700
Cc: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
If the rotors are beyond their wear limit, then the front pads will
not engage. Firm pedal but no stopping power up front. And the fronts
normally do the vast majority of the work.

Virtually the same front systems were used on Jaguars and Studebakers
- cars twice as heavy - so a properly working system has plenty of
stopping power. Unless all of the front cylinders are seized -
unlikely but possible, I suppose - then I suspect the problem is not
the calipers.

If everything looks OK, then crack open a front bleeder, cover it
firmly with your thumb, cover your thumb with a rag 'cause this is
gonna squirt, and have a friend slowly depress the pedal. See if the
front circuit is building pressure. Bad proportioning valve (single
master) or bad master (dual master) if little pressure. On a dual
master car the red 'B' dash light would also light up if the pressures
were unbalanced.

Be warned that if the front cylinders are internally pitted -
extremely likely unless the fluid was flushed every couple of years -
then pushing the pistons back in to install new rotors or pads will
likely lead to leaks. This is because the piston and attached seal
will be pushed back into the pitted area. No solution except resleeve
or replace.

Brake maintenance has been heavily discussed in the distant past but
all that info is buried in the dusty archives. There may be writeups
preserved in the 311s forum. I miss the lively discussions that used
to occur here on the mailing list...

I also miss seeing my Roadster buddies in person :-(

-- John
    John F Sandhoff   jsandhoff@gmail.com   Sacramento, CA