Re: [Roadsters] Email question

To: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com> definitions=2020-08-27_08:2020-08-27, 2020-08-27 signatures=0 malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=0 spamscore=0 clxscore=1015 mlxscore=0 mlxlogscore=520 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 engine=8.0.1-2004280000 definitions=main-2008270126
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Email question
From: Pat Horne via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:53:38 -0500
Cc: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Thanks, I appreciate that. Iâ??ll deal with it. I donâ??t see a way to turn on
headers on the iPhone.

I had a flashback while reading your message.  â??maze of twisty little
passagesâ?? Took me back to my early days of CPM & the game Adventure! Iâ??ll
have to find a copy that runs under windows. I still use xyzzy as a temporary
file name.

Plugh,
Pat

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

On Aug 27, 2020, at 11:42 AM, Mark J Bradakis via Datsun-roadsters
<datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> wrote:

On 8/26/20 2:10 PM, Pat Horne via Datsun-roadsters wrote:
> When i receive an email from our list doesnâ??t include who specifically it
> is from, only datsun roadster. I have an iPhone. On my PC it shows who the
> emais from. I have been assuming that this is an apple problem but thought
> Iâ??d ask if anyone else is having that problem or knows how to solve it.

Actually that is coming from the server, not a function of whatever client you
use to read email.  It is based on DMARC, which stands for Domain based Message
Authentication Reporting & Compliance.  It is a security protocol which
attempts to make email more secure, to verify the real sender, and cut down on
spoofed and spam email. Most major email providers use DMARC in some form or
another.  A few don't.  Email providers can reject or discard mail from sources
that don't have a DMARC policy set up in their DNS info.

What happens on Team Net is that the 'From:' line is changed to something like
From Joe Lister via datsun-roadsters which in theory increases the chance of
mail getting through, since autox.team.net has a published DMARC policy, while
whatever system Joe Lister is using may not have a policy set up and other
email providers would reject his message.

The list messages should still have a 'Reply-to:' header that lists the initial
sender.

Basically it is a tricky and complicated maze of twisty little passages to make
email as secure, reliable and trustworthy as possible, using things like DMARC,
DKIM, SPF and such.  There is no perfect solution that pleases each and every
person on the net.  I try to set things up as best I can, hoping to keep these
lists going, keeping the flames fueling our passion burning brightly.

mjb.

ps:  I just bought this the other day.  Not a roadster, but the company name
seemed familiar.

<20200827_091047.jpg>