[Roadsters] 1967 RL411 (R16-powered!)

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] 1967 RL411 (R16-powered!)
From: Alvin Gogineni via Datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 09:10:27 -0800

--0000000000005cc15b05d18bf10c

[img]
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PXL_20211003_205813413.jpg[/img]

A 240Z owner at the shop also owns a few Nissan Patrols and this cherry
Bluebird wagon. I was really intrigued with the R16's induction, airbox,
and custom parts. It might be inspirational for roadster owners interested
in modifying theirs.
http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PXL_20211003_210529125.jpg

The R16 has been stroked to 2L, and he used CAD to design and then weld up
the exhaust manifold that still exits out the fender!
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/header-iso.png
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2979-768x1024.jpg

The whole drivetrain and engine bay look really sharp. Induction is in the
form of dual Mikuni flatslides with a 3D-printed airbox:
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2924-e1637732676896.jpg
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2982.jpg

The 411's dash has always been a favorite of mine and Greg's looked a bit
different. Turns out he used CAD to make a custom panel:
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PXL_20211004_013805181.jpg
I asked Greg to fill me in on his custom gauge cluster work:

"The stock gauge cluster didn't come with a tach.  When I put the 4 speed
in it I thought that would be a nice addition.  Also neither the temp gauge
nor the fuel gauge worked.  The gauges out of the early roadsters are
beautiful so I was originally intrigued with them.  They are expensive if
you can find them and the diameter is too large to fit nicely in the stock
cluster housing.  I ran across a few images of this sss cluster in a car
but it appeared to also have a larger cluster housing.  Both seemed
impossible to source.  The new electronic  tachs  and speedos are way
easier to get working than fussing with MSD tach adapters or speedo gears
etc.  If you look at the CAD image you can see that I gutted the original
speedo housing and added the toothed wheel and sensor to it.  It's driven
from the stock cable running to the transmission.  I was also able to
repurpose the stock wiring  plug so the whole mess plugs into the original
wiring harness exactly as the original unit."
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/EXPLODED.png
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/speedo.png
The elusive SSS unit:
https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/411-sss-2-20120813.jpg

You can see more pics and read about Greg's build on the blog here:
https://www.zcarblog.com/2021/11/23/performance/zcg-big-brakes-zcg-cv-axles-and-panasports-for-gregs-1970-datsun-240z.html

--0000000000005cc15b05d18bf10c

/2021/05/PXL_20211003_205813413.jpg[/img]">http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-conte=
 at the shop also owns a few Nissan Patrols and this cherry Bluebird wagon.=
 I was really intrigued with the R16&#39;s induction, airbox, and custom pa=
rts. It might be inspirational=C2=A0for roadster owners interested in modif=
ying theirs.<br><a href=3D"http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/=
05/PXL_20211003_210529125.jpg">http://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2=
, and he used CAD to design and then weld up the exhaust manifold that stil=
l exits out the fender! <br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/=
uploads/2021/10/header-iso.png">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads=
/2021/10/header-iso.png</a><br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-conte=
nt/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2979-768x1024.jpg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-conte=
d engine bay look really sharp. Induction is in the form of dual Mikuni fla=
tslides with a 3D-printed airbox:<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp=
-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2924-e1637732676896.jpg">https://www.zcarblog.=
com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2924-e1637732676896.jpg</a><br><a href=
=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/IMG_2982.jpg";>https=
411&#39;s dash has always been a favorite of mine and Greg&#39;s looked a b=
it different. Turns out he used CAD to make a custom panel:<br><a href=3D"h=
ttps://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PXL_20211004_013805181.j=
pg">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PXL_20211004_013805=
181.jpg</a><br>I asked Greg to fill me in on his custom gauge cluster work:=
en I put the 4 speed in it I thought that would be a nice addition.=C2=A0 A=
lso neither the temp gauge nor the fuel gauge worked.=C2=A0 The gauges out =
of the early roadsters are beautiful so I was originally intrigued with the=
m.=C2=A0 They are expensive if you can find them and the diameter is too la=
rge to fit nicely in the stock cluster housing.=C2=A0 I ran across a few im=
ages of this sss cluster in a car but it appeared to also have a larger clu=
ster housing.=C2=A0 Both seemed impossible to source.=C2=A0 The new electro=
nic =C2=A0tachs =C2=A0and speedos are way easier to get working than fussin=
g with MSD tach adapters or speedo gears etc.=C2=A0 If you look at the CAD =
image you can see that I gutted the original speedo housing and added the t=
oothed wheel and sensor to it.=C2=A0 It&#39;s driven from the stock cable r=
unning to the transmission.=C2=A0 I was also able to repurpose the stock wi=
ring =C2=A0plug so the whole mess plugs into the original wiring harness ex=
actly as the original unit.&quot;<br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp=
-content/uploads/2021/10/EXPLODED.png">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/=
uploads/2021/10/EXPLODED.png</a><br><a href=3D"https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-=
content/uploads/2021/10/speedo.png">https://www.zcarblog.com/wp-content/upl=