fot

cast aluminum welding

To: shoptalk@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: cast aluminum welding
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 97 09:02:24 pst
     Old(1950's) cast aluminium is fairly porous.  I need to weld a fairly
     large crack in an otherwise perfectly good casting.  I think that
     the casting has to be heated for a while to get the old oil/grease out
     of the casting that it ad/absorbed over the years.  Then a good
     cleaning prior to TIG welding.

     Q) Is this correct?

     Q) How much heat and how long?

     Q) Is there another way?  (I'm not sure I want burnt oil fumes in
                                my house if I put it in the oven.)

     Q) Some one suggested H2SO4 (sulfuric acid etching)?  Any comments?

     TIA

     Mordy Dunst
     GASKET WORKS
     Maker of Copper Head Gaskets