fot

Re: Rear suspension

To: Grand_Wazoo <Grand_Wazoo@MAIL.FLINET.COM>
Subject: Re: Rear suspension
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 10:11:35 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Grand_Wazoo wrote:

> Jack W Drews wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to figure out what to do to improve two aspects of my
> > vintage TR4 racer's handling -- decrease the understeer and keep the
> > inside rear wheel on the ground.
> >
> > I am surprised that connecting / disconnecting the rear sway bar has
> > such little effect on over/understeer, and inside rear wheel lifting.

        Jack and all,

        I autocross my TR4. A ew years back I had installed sway bars
        both in the front and rear, and still ecountered a degree of rear
        wheel lift though the overall handling was much better than stock.
        Later, I bought a "locker-type" posi and installed it. I immmediately
        notice massive understeer... So much so that, under heavy
        accelleration that there was almost no change in direction at all!.
        Since I bought the locker from Denny Wilson (an old SCCA Triumph
        pilot of some note) I called him for an input on how to get around
        the "problem". He wasn't at all surprised at my symptoms. He advised
        me to remove the FRONT sway bar... In short, it worked... very well
        as a matter of fact.

        I'm not sure this will help you with your situation but, you might
        want to give it a try...

        See ya later,

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois