fot

Handling Story #2

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Handling Story #2
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 19:33:17 +0000
Entertainment only:

Last year was the first competition year for our TR4.

We put stiffer springs and a sway bar in the front, added a leaf to
each  spring and a sway bar at the rear rear and did some shock work.

We took it to the track and it was the goofiest handling car I'd ever
driven. When going into a corner, it would start to oversteer and when I
corrected, it would start to describe a completely different arc
requiring a second correction, almost like it was making two corners out
of every one.

I managed to keep Joe Alexander behind me for a few laps and he gave me
amusing descriptions of the antics of my rear end (no sniggering
please).

Afterwards, I got out the few books I had and pored over them for some
clue to the possible cause and found a paragraph in one of Carroll
Smith's books that said the front half of a leaf spring should locate
the rear axle and the rear half should do most of the springing.

I looked at the rear springs and noticed all the leaves of the spring
are asymmetrical - the center hole is not in the center at all.

Further inspection revealed that the spring shop had reversed them all -
and had made the front half of the spring too flexible, allowing
excessive roll steer. I reversed the leaves for the next event and the
problem was solved.

Drum Roll please, for successful sleuthing -- or maybe catcalls for
allowing such a dumb mistake in the first place.