fot

More on Axles

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: More on Axles
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 16:56:09 -0400
I have some questions but let me preface it with a couple comments:

1. George Wright had contacted Stock Car Products, who make a variety of
items for (guess). I was mistaken in that they evidently did show some
interest if the minimum were 20 pair.

2. We now have interest from:

Contacted
Mike Jackson
John Lye
Irv Korey
George Wright
Joe Alexander
Jack Drews
Chip Bond

Not contacted but probably have a need:
Allan Pinnell* (phone # anyone?)
J. Harkness*(phone # anyone?)
J. Snook*
Bill Thumel*

3: Strange Engineering has requested that I send a drawing, then a sample
shaft. They claim they can perform all operations in house with the
exception of heat treating. They maybe a  potential supplier.

Questions?
Failure mode: G.Wright had his break inboard of the bearing race stop. I've
heard of brakage at the keyway, does anyone have firsthand knowledge of
this? Other modes?

Service life: G. Wright car had axles that probably date from the 80's at
least. The car was a road racer then xcrossed then returned to road racing.
Is is possible that simple fatigue has taken it's toll? Can anyone document
a failure of NOS or known low-milage axle shafts? If so how did they break?

Axle length: To simplify the order, is it possible to extend the splined
end on the production run then just part off the axle end for TR-3 usage? I
believe that the TR-3 shaft is just shorter that the TR4 counterpart. Am I
mistaken?

Regards All,
Chip