fot

Re: Triumph axles, rear

To: vinttr4@FORBIN.COM
Subject: Re: Triumph axles, rear
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 03:37:51 -0400 (EDT)

<< The TR4A solid axle cars used axle shafts that had a shrunk-on collar in
 place of the machined shoulder that locates the bearing. We are
 examining the pro's and con's of such a design. If we used that design,
 machining cost would be less and heat treat zone could be expanded
 making the axles even more indestructible than our current evolving
 design. Our concern is whether or not the shrunk-on collar would stay in
 place under racing conditions.

 Does any one have real life first hand experience with this particular
 axle?

   I have not raced this kind of axle, but the TR8 (and 5 speed TR7) has
a simlar setup.  The TR8 factory manual (51.10.02) states: REFITTINNG...
13  SMEAR THE SHAFT IN FRONT OF THE BEARING WITH LOCTITE 602 COMPOUND AND
ALSO THE BORE OF THE NEW RETAINING COLLAR.
  I wonder what GP 44 & Huffaker used on their TR8 race cars? ( Many of the
TR7 racers used the early rear axle because it was so much lighter.)
  The point is that "loctite" seems to be needed to keep street wheels on
with this set up.  The TR7/8 hubs are also one piece with the half shafts.
                    Regards    HP