fot

Axles

To: vinttr4@FORBIN.COM, tr4racer@ESINET.NET
Subject: Axles
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 11:57:30 -0700
Chip and Jack,

I have been following the axle conversations regarding smaller
diameters.  As you may be aware, most of this stuff is over my head, so
I try to explain to Glen Efinger (my TR Guru) about what's going on.  He
agrees the smaller diameter is a benefit in reducing the failures due to
TORSIONAL loading, however, two of the three failures (mine & Harkness)
were due to BENDING loads which a smaller diameter will not help.  Glen
keeps talking about floating axles as a way to prevent the bending loads
from acting on the axles.  I personally don't like this as it sounds
like a very complicated (read - expensive) fix.  Glen is not very
up-to-date when it comes to communication devices, meaning he is not on
the internet, but he loves to talk on the phone.  If either of you want
to get his input, his number is: 561-283-7700.  Mike Jackson, George
Wright, Larry Rossi, John Harkness, Glen and I will be at Mid Ohio
together in a few weeks.  Maybe we can hash out some ideas at that time.

Thanks again for your help with this project,

Jeff