fot

Full floating axles - TRs

To: "fot@autox.team.net" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Full floating axles - TRs
From: Russ Moore <rem9@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:09:37 -0400 (EDT)
Salutations,
I had a considerably long conversation with Glen Effinger last night on the
whole issue of axles in TR-3s and 4s among all the other things we discussed
for the hour +.  I helped a friend retrieve an SCCA car he sort of inherited
a few years ago that had the perfect solution and gets away from the issue
of hub and axle fractures. The car now resides less than a few miles from me
and is in what I believe a permanent state of retirement. The hot ticket on
this was the alteration to the rear axle/hub/bearings etc. It has a full
float setup that allowed it to place first in some of the regionals based in
the Limerock Conn area. This car was raced from new by the original owner
who was responsible for all the development work. He was forced into
retirement a few years ago after a stroke. The current owner is a close
friend of mine and had crewed for the car on multiple occasions and as such
came to own it. I am going to approach him to see if I can bring the car
into my shop to document all the mods on the rear. If I can't borrow it,
maybe I'll buy it.  There is also a possibility I can then write up the
details and document how this was done, possibly even produce the pieces in
my shop and have them available. Too many of us are exercising our safety
equipment lately! Wish it worked on Spitfires. I had hoped to show this to
John Harkness when he was here but time flew by and we missed eachother on
his return trip through town.

Please let me know if there is interest out there.

Over the years the owner still experienced the occasional axle snap but the
only result was a controled slow ride to the side of the track. He at no
time tested the paint thickness on the top of the rollbar. The axle was able
to be changed in less than 5 minutes and he was back in the fight. This was
a very competitive car and most of this fellows free time was usually spent
using a dyno to set up all of the 5 engines for the car. When we brought the
car to our area it was partially apart and I had to assemble the rear
components before we could transport it. It is very impressive.

Best regards,
Russ Moore
Spitfire #49