fot

Big Bore Kits

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Big Bore Kits
From: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 08:34:39
Fellow FOTers,
I recently located an old clapped-out TR-4 motor to re-build for my '66
street-legal/vintage racing Triumph. In the great American tradition, my
first thought is that the road to power is paved with cubic inches.
Contrary to my personal MO of "ready, fire, aim," I thought this time I
might take advantage of our august pool of experience and first ask you
guys for any advice you could offer. Admittedly I'm still on the uphill
slope of the learning curve but if I can lean on you all a little, I bet
next year I can bring a much better car to the track.

My questions about Big Bore Kits are:
1.  Is there an optimum size?
2.  What are the biggest pitfalls?
3.  Is the concept of lots more cc's the right one?
4.  Is much (any) special machining necessary?
5.  What is the best source and cost?

My ultimate goal is to build a strong, tourqy motor; not a super high
compression fire breather. If 150 hp is somewhere around optimum for a TR-4
motor, I will shoot for 125. For you real racers this may be some sort of
perverted heresy, but for me, I will rely heavily on torque and reliabilty
until (& if) my driving skills warrant a more aggressive approach. Any
other advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated (other than to
pursue Kwaun Do or astronomy.) Thanks for your comradery.
Richard