fot

RE: Running Again YES!

To: "'Catpusher@aol.com'" <Catpusher@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Running Again YES!
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 10:56:45 -0400
Hi Hardy,

Im running Cam2 purple. Leaded. Something.g like 113 Octane or so. It's a
little old. Bought it in April befor Connelsville.

The guage picks up at on the body of the regulator. Downstream of the ball.
It is indicating pressure in the feed to the carbs. No I just installed it
so the calibration is susspect. It does have a bleed on the body of the
guage and a written procedure for calibration. I should go throgh that
sequence.

The pumps are dual fawcets. Each connected to a seperatepick up in the
cell. The requlator is not the bypass type. Its from some circle track
ssupplier. It does not appear to function. With both fuel pumps operating
and the regulator at it's highest pressure setting, I read about 7 - 7 1/2"
lbs. At the lowest pressure setting, I'm getting the same.

I started Pocono with Grosse jets but switched the front to the standard
needle after I found fuel weeping past the float needle with the pumps on.
I guess the fuel line pressure was overcoming the pressure exerted by the
float on the needle. It still weeped and I disconnected a single fuel pump
to reduce the pressure.

With both pumps connected, the apparent guage reading drops to about 4 lbs
at speed. with a single pump, I noted about 1-1/2 lb at speed. I +*think* I
saw the guage needle bounce from the 0 position just after one of those
"surges" or misses but can't swear to it.

After Connelsville, I switched to -4 aeroquipt throughout downstream of the
regulator. I had two -4 male connectors tigged to the float bowl lids.

Don't know what is going on. I switch the regulator before NHIS. See if
that helps.

Other suggestions I've had:

>From Ted: Possible lean misfire. That may be. It corresponds to the EGT
readings. At high RPM, #4 was 125-150 degrees hotter than the other three.
This would indicate a fuel distribution problem in the intake manifold. Or
possible intake leak.

>From John Lye: Tail pipe length. I guess that is possible too.

Roll cages: The issue, at least with my car, was the "foot protection"
phrasing in the current rules. The concensus amoung all present, was that
it was not possible to add bars that would protect the feet and legs. I
have the forward braces from the low dash hoop tied to the top of the shock
tower. Sven (something) from Denver indicated that that section would not
be enforced at the runoffs and would probably be deleted in future
revisions. They appeared very interested in:

A full width symmetrical main hoop.
A horizonal bar between the legs of the main hoop.
A diagonal bar fron the top of one main leg to the bottom of the other.
The included angle of the rear braces to the main hoop (must be 30 degrees
or greater.

They also took in interest in the impossibility of having a low front hoop
design higher that the top of the steering wheel. The indication was that
tis item would not be enforced (or continue not being enforced)

Lorren Western, from my region, will be the cheif of production cars at the
Runoffs. He is a wonderful person, knowlegeable and fair. He was in
attendance last weekend.

Hardy, what changes are you seeking from the comp board?

Take Care
Chip