fot

Re: Leaky pushrod tubes

To: AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaky pushrod tubes
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

<< This doesnt seem to work for everyone, but I take a Craftsman socket, I
 think it is a 1/2" drive that necks down into a 3/8" or 1/2" nut size.
 The radius makes a nice contact with the tube at the opening. I tap this
 lightly for an extended period of time, swaging the tube tight against
 the casting. This can be done on the tops of the tubes with head in
 place or both sides when the head is off.

Hi all,
one word of caution before using the knock off hammer:
with the head on,
if the tubes have been replaced; not uncommon if they were the alum
ones and went in a hot tank;  they can be driven down into the motor,
or at least well below the head gasket surface.  Otherwise, I am
glad that I am not the only one testing craftsman sockets this way!
                            HP