fot

Re: Compression check

To: Malaboge@aol.com, rgb@exact.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compression check
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 13:28:46 1997
>>Is this true?  170 psi the limit for street gas...?

>There is NO relationship between the pounds per square in of pressure
>noted on a compression guage, and the actual compression ratio.

Actual, or effective?  I believe the effective compression ratio is
the important factor in determining HP output, octane required, etc.
Speaking of HP engines, there are a number of articles stating that
putting a HP cam in an engine will effectively lower the effective
compression ratio and hence allow running on pump gas...  an alternative
if you milled the head too much!

>As usual, I will stand firm on this theory - at least until somebody with a
>bunch of letters after his name convinces me I'm an idiot

I am certain the wait will be short!  Equally certain is my fate in sharing
the "idiot" suit with you...  Been there, burnt the book.

So, you guys with the letters after their name, this is SERIOUS stuff:

Assuming 92 high octane pump gas, how much do I mill the head to maximize HP?
(is the psi reading at 1500 RPM of any importance?  Can we determine the
 maximum ideal HP?  Is "physics" a science or art?)

Thanks,

Roger